About Me

Sunday, June 8, 2014

Tick Tock

Time carries on, and so do our lives. I completed my third year at Central Michigan University and learned a lot, but the learning never ends. I am now living in Nashville, TN for the summer and am pursuing research as a member of Vanderbilt University's Institute of Chemical Biology Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU). Sounds fancy, huh? I have completed two weeks of the program so far and am looking positively ahead at the remaining eight weeks.

Ultimately, I am one of five students in the program and my research is in a synthetic organic chemistry research lab and let me just say it was very intense in the beginning! I am happy to share that without my research experience at CMU, I would have been feeling incredibly tiny and overwhelmed upon my arrival at the new lab. However, I gained a lot of skills at CMU and actually felt very prepared in the lab here. I am grateful for this new experience and will learn a lot of organic chemistry this summer.

I drove all the way from Michigan to Nashville in one day, and I did it alone. When I arrived in Nashville I gasped at the sight before my eyes. I had visited Vanderbilt before (last November), but actually driving here by myself and figuring out where to go and the sight of all the big buildings really just reminded me that I was in for a whole new experience, I was no longer in the comfort of either of my hometowns (Mt. Pleasant and SW Michigan). I don't know how others felt, particularly CMU McNair Scholars who did REU programs before me, but I honestly felt awed, amazed, overwhelmed and quite anxious. It was so much change all at once. And I do not feel the most comfortable with change. However, I knew everything would be okay if I just kept going, like the clock going tick tock, tick tock. Also, I found myself a wonderful support network of loved ones from home and after two weeks I am feeling much better about the whole change thing.

Even being two weeks into the program, I have had a sneak peek at what my life could hold for five years if I decide to pursue a Ph.D. here. I am incredibly appreciative of this experience and look forward to seeing how I feel about everything at the end of summer. Even though the lab has been intense, I keep telling myself that I have a purpose for doing what I do. I will never be able to forget the reasons why I pursue such a challenging path in life, however I will continue to keep marching forward and stay positive. As one of my loved ones has told me time and time again, "Only you can make yourself happy." While there are several factors that help me be happy, it truly is up to myself to be happy. I have come to realize that I shouldn't worry as much (although that is my second nature) and try to be the happiest that I can be no matter the circumstances. I cannot wait to see what the remainder of the summer holds! :-)  

No comments:

Post a Comment