About Me

Friday, July 12, 2013

My motivation, my memories...

This week's blog post topic is focused on one of Danielle LaPorte's burning questions, "What is chronic, repetitive, or inflamed in your life?" Click here to see a short YouTube video where LaPorte discusses the issue.

Initially, this topic had me outright stumped. I immediately thought of how my current research is giving me problems. As science is expected to do. I have made a compound, but cannot prove what I made is what I need. Anyway.... That doesn't really get to the heart of the matter that LaPorte is questioning.

So, I dove a little deeper in my thoughts and it dawned on me that I do have something "chronic or inflamed" in my life. I have simply become numb to it. The topic I am about to discuss is very personal to me, and I do not fully know how to explain it all, but I will try my best.

My mother passed away on September 10th, 2011. She had yet to have her 48th birthday and she left me 6 days before my own birthday. My mother suffered from several health problems through my senior year of high school, but I wasn't ready to let go of her just yet. She always said that she just had to get me to college and know that I was safe and happy there. And this is what happened. I had just got settled into CMU.

Somehow, my world didn't fall to pieces. No one thinks about what it is like to lose a loved one so close. I had already lost my father during my freshman year of high school, but this was much harder. I don't think I ever fully dealt with my feelings. I went home for the service and then came back to school as soon as I could and focused on catching up. I used school as a distraction from my loss and the pain I felt. Although I am happy that my mom is no longer suffering, I feel a little lost without her. Sometimes I wonder if the realization will ever hit me hard that she is gone. There are days that I really long to talk to her.

My mom was one of those "cool" moms who was everyone's mom. She raised me to be the person I am now and encouraged my scholastic learning. I use her memory as my driving force and motivation to do the best that I can do.  

I do not feel the need to have a solution to what's chronic in my life. I utilize it to its full potential and especially knowing that my mother and father would be proud of where I am in life now. As Rose Kennedy once said, "“It has been said, ‘time heals all wounds.’  I do not agree.  The wounds remain. In time, the mind, protecting its sanity, covers them with scar tissue and the pain lessens.  But it is never gone.”




No comments:

Post a Comment