About Me

Sunday, June 9, 2013

Boot Camp "Epiphanies"

Last week I traveled to Lake Barkley, Kentucky with my McNair cohort. I stated the purpose of the trip in a previous blog post, but will explain it again here. McNair Scholars from several institutions gathered at Lake Barkley for "Boot Camp" where we networked with one another and learned all about graduate school. Previously, I discussed the connections I made with my fellow scholars. Now I would like to discuss the academic side of camp, or what I took away from camp.

My greatest epiphany while at camp, was the realization that this "stuff" is real, legit, and going to happen! I know that might seem silly, but it was the first time where my future was in the spotlight and under the magnifying glass for scrutiny. I have wanted to get the highest education possible since the eighth grade, and I was finally somewhere that was openly discussing everything about graduate school. 

Throughout my two years at CMU, I have picked up on a vast amount of knowledge about upper education. Therefore, prior to attending camp I already had some idea about graduate school. However, I didn't have as much knowledge about writing a personal statement and the interview process. Without camp and McNair, the personal statement and interview process are things I would have had to just "wing it". I have a very solid rough draft to my personal statement! Also, I learned questions that I can ask various aspects of graduate school interviewers and I also had the experience of a mock interview with beneficial feedback.

Here are some "equations" and "motto's" I learned at camp:
  • Specificity + Flexibility = Admission
  • Passion + Capacity =  Admission
  • Fake it until you make it!
  • Be sure to "read the gosh darn question"
  • Being unusual is attractive, weird is not

Honestly, camp increased my anxiety about graduate schools. Mainly because it made the thought so real. Also, I have an extra year before I will apply for doctoral programs, and I am really excited and would rather not wait! ;-) Being able to wield all of the knowledge about graduate school is intoxicating! And that is what "boot camp" did for me. Camp made me strong and sure about my future. 

I can do this. I am McNair! :-)
  

No comments:

Post a Comment