About Me

Friday, May 24, 2013

Play To Your Strengths!

Have you ever thought about doing this, "Playing to your strengths"? I think it makes sense, but in our American lives we tend to only focus on what we need to improve. I attended a seminar focused on strengths with the 2013 McNair Scholars and it was an invigorating eye and soul opener! Perhaps if I live through my strengths then I will also subconsciously live in ways that exhibit how I want to feel.... That would be wondrous! During the seminar, we discussed that our voices are what our unique contribution is to the world, made up of our passion, talents, values, and "needs" of the world.

According to the WorkUno Strengths Test, my top 5 strengths are:
  1. Learner
  2. Intellection
  3. Input
  4. Ideation
  5. Harmony
I do believe the test nailed my top two strengths! I absolutely love to learn and think. I actually enjoyed high school, and doing homework is fun to me. (I know, I am weird.... hahaha!). In addition, when I was diagnosed with Hodgkin's Lymphoma, I viewed the situation as a learning experience since I knew I wanted to go into cancer research. Having the opportunity to pursue higher education couldn't be more fun for me! I have found my voice to sing out in these areas, and my ultimate passion is science. I strongly believe that I am at my best when I am learning and thinking, especially about science.

"My voice" is leading me into my research project very happily. Organic chemistry can be a challenging and time consuming subject, but I have the strengths that allow me to move swiftly through the quick sand without being swallowed whole. Not only is this where my passion lies, but I have heard people say that I am good at my laboratory work. I have the skills and passion to keep me going through the unknown world of research.

 I am a huge fan of Einstein, and below is a quote that I think is very appropriate to share.  

I take the quote as a personal goal. I love learning, but rather than learning mere facts, I need to be shaping my mind for critical thinking that can be utilized to create solutions to problems in the world. Are better cancer medications going to be created through my memorization of facts and theories....? Not so much. Will I need to know them, yes. But ultimately, I need to know them AND apply them. It's a deeper level of understanding, I think.

So, I think my strengths will be valuable to society because I will continually pursue knowledge and critical thinking to help as many people as possible. I have been highly considering going into academia after I receive my Ph.D. and complete post-docs, and I think I would greatly enjoy being a professor. I could channel my enthusiasm for science into my teaching and hopefully inspire other students. I don't just want to store all of this knowledge for my own liking, I truly wish to use it and help society in what ever way possible. :-)

Overall, my strengths might seem a bit silly, but they mean a lot to me and describe me very well. After all, I always enjoyed when my mom would read story after story to me before bed and now I am able to read all I want. :-)

1 comment:

  1. Love that quote! Your enthusiasm, Amanda, is palpable... :)

    ReplyDelete